MISSIONS & SERVICE MINISTRIES
Ministering to others through missions and service is a primary goal of the Christian's life journey. After all, Jesus said to love God and "love your neighbor as yourself" (Luke 10:27b). Turns out Jesus means our "neighbors" are not only here in Columbus, but across our nation and around the world. And if aren't called or able to personally go around the world we can in a sense be there by supporting Christ's mission workers that are there. In effect, we are helping those on the "front lines" of God's work.
- The Mission Committee, led by Jane Schneider and Cathy Davis, organizes trips, local projects, and fund drives for a variety of causes through an annual Faith Promise drive, Peanuts children's monthly collection, Christmas tree gifts, and salad luncheon. Trips, collections, and causes are described for 2011 in the Mission Committee pamphlet that can be viewed by clicking on the following link:
- Backpack - Some members of the Mission Committee have led the effort to provide weekend food to needy elementary students in Columbus from the backpack ministry at the Outreach Center. More information on this effort can be viewed by Clicking Here, and at the program website www.apatt.org.
- The United Methodist Youth Fellowship (UMYF), led by Sarah Borgman, and others, takes mission trips throughout the year, usually focusing on the summer time. To see their photos go to Youth Mission Trip pictures.
- Mission Shares are the apportioned giving asking that is "assigned" to our church to support United Methodist missionaries and projects here and around the world.
- The Committees and other groups of individuals take supply evening meals to the Columbus Rescue Mission twice per month, those days being second Sundays and fourth Tuesdays.
- The United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Men also provide support to a variety of mission causes as noted on their individual pages (UMW and UMMen) of this website.
- Change The World projects, organized by the Christian Social Witness Team, include cleaning up at Higgins Memorial, sewing for missions, cooking meals to be taken to our members in need, helping out church members by cleaning gutters, raking, tilling, recyclables, trimming, replacing landscape rock at the Center for Survivors and giving away free t-shirts and jeans. To see their photos go to the CSW page.
The FUMC Family Goes on Mission Trips in the United States, to foreign countries and of course, right here in
our home state of Nebraska to lend a hand to those in need.
CLICK On The Mission Slideshow to see just a small sample of where we go and what we do, then check out the videos and photos below.
| COLUMBUS FUMC MEMBERS: IN SERVICE TO OTHERS
United States Military - Around the World
Tornado Ravaged Wakefield, Nebraska
Click here to see
The Columbus Telegram published a story about FUMC members Dean and Carolyn Athey's Medical
Mission Trip to Nicaragua.
It begins.... Dean Athey, a member of Global Passion
Ministries-Nebraska, compares the medical mission
team’s work to the story of the young boy on the
beach tossing starfish back into the ocean.
“The need is endless, but at least you can impact somebody’s life,” said Athey.
That’s what keeps the Columbus man and his wife, Carolyn, motivated to return to Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, year after year.
Heart For Mission Projects
Columbus Community Garden
The Columbus Community Garden project was designed with goals to promote healthy lifestyles and to help
families who are struggling in this economy.
Midwest Mission Distribution Center -
Chatham, Illinois 2016
Midwest Mission Distribution Center -
Chatham, Illinois 2015
Change The World
Helping Feed Our Neighbors
Gleaning 1,000 pounds of potatoes near O'Neill
Sep 28, 2012 for local food pantries
(Scott-at left holds a "heart-shaped" potato - cool!)
LOCATIONS & SERVICE TIMES
Downtown 2710 14th Street, Columbus, Nebraska 402-564-8463
Saturday: 6:00 p.m. Sunday: 8:00 & 10:30 a.m.
Sunday School: 9:00 a.m. Fellowship Time: 10:00 - 10:30 a.m.
Nursery available 9:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Transportation available for Sunday 10:30 service. Call the church by Friday to schedule.
Outreach Center 3602 16th Street, Columbus, Nebraska 402-564-8362
"Ignite On Sunday Night" Alternative Praise Gathering
Light Supper: 5:30 p.m. Casual Praise Worship: 6:00 p.m.