Methodists have ministered in Columbus for over 150 years. Rev. Jacob Adriance moved from New York to Fremont and assumed charge of the Platte Valley Methodist Missionary Circuit. On May 16, 1858, he conducted the first religious service in Columbus in the dining room of the American Hotel located on the corner of 7th St and 21st Ave. Columbus has approximately 100 people, and 24 attended this first service.
In 1871, the Presbyterians and the Methodists built the Nebraska Avenue Church on the west side of 27th Avenue. This was sold to the Methodist Society in 1875, and incorporated as the First Methodist Episcopal Church on March 23, 1876. A new church was built at 1362 25th Ave in 1879, then another church was built at the present location of 14th St and 27th Ave in1886.
In 1940, the name of the church became First Methodist Church in response to the union in 1939, nationally, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and the Methodist Protestant Church.
In 1960, the present church building was consecrated and many members from the Duncan Methodist Church joined upon their closing. In 1963 the present educational wing was consecrated.
In 1968, the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren Churches, nationally, joined to form the present denomination of United Methodist Church. Locally, the Columbus, Silver Creek, and Fairview churches constituted a parish from 1975 to 1985.
We celebrated our 150 years of ministry on April 19 and May 3, 2009.
In 2012 the Education Wing was completely remodeled, including office relocation; new electrical, windows, heating/cooling, bathrooms, ceilings, floors, and walls; asbestos removal; pitched roof addition; and sprinkler system addition throughout the church. During the remodel process, we temporarily relocated the offices and Sunday School classes to the location in Northtown Mall that we now continue to use as our Outreach Center. The construction of the remodel project took place during 2012 (mid-January through November), with the consecration service being held on Dec 9, 2012.
In early 2016, the former Rainbow Center Inc. building was purchased and on June 25th, the Outreach Center operation was moved from the Northtown Mall to the new location at 3206 16th Street.